@Muzzy Using the forums

Discuss the game state, current & future Events and issues of Archeage with the community.
Aeducan
Site Admin

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 am

Aeducan wrote: Hi there,

so i just watched the recorded stream on Twitch.

One question that came up was regarding the handling of the AA forums and that the forums are falling out of favor, due to the management and how moderators handle difficult threads.

By difficult i mean threads that may contain one or two "bad posts" like the bait thread by Orio with the nerdSlayer vid. The vid itself was quite against the forum rules.
Yet the whole thread was removed, instead of just removing the video from the post.

Also, while others got infractions or even temp bans, the OP did not get banned for posting this in the first place.

This looks kind of irratic to your playerbase AND preferential.

Another thing is if any player asks about a thread that has been removed, like where it´s gone said player will recieve an infraction at least.
I am not talking about experienced forum users, because we all know what happens if you ask this. Infraction.
While it doesn´t really matter, i refere to the recent newer players who asked this and got infracted.

The reason for infraction is "questioning moderator action" - it´s not questioning the action it´s asking a valid question. PPL even risk getting infracted for answering the OPs post.

That´s one reason ppl accuse you of censorship of free thought.

So you want people to use the Trion forums, that´s a good thing, but on the stream (start around 43:10), then when one player points out how easy it is to "obtain" infractions and he´s tired of it and would rather go straight to reddit, you lash out at (44:20) telling him goodbye, because you only want to have "good conversations".

Now a good conversation lies in the eye of the beholder.

Many threads have been removed that just weren´t in favor of the game state and people stating their personal experience, sometimes assumptions based on those (which you globally downtalked as fake news) and most of the time in quite a civil manner, heated sometimes, but not disrespectful.

Instead of taking this feedback into account when making decisions for AA and how to make it more appealing for players to stay, you outright tell your players to get lost, when they have something to say you might not like.
To be fair, you say that "if they cannot follow the rules" they are welcome to leave.

In regard to the rules i point you to the part where people just wonder where a thread went and then get infracted for it. Or that whole threads get deleted for having maybe just ONE rulebreaking post.

Why can´t you keep threads in question, lock them and put a moderator statement into it why it has been locked, for all to see and understand. Why sweep it under the rug (or try to)?

Why don´t you take that feedback into account when interally discussing the future of AA. Not talking compensations here, but general changes, like less Pay to Progress, Pay to play only servers and all the other suggestions that were lost to the public, because there was like 1 post, that offended the forum rules?

K that´s an assumption, maybe you DO discuss these kind of forum posts and if suggestions are viable in the future.
But the way you communicate it (you don´t) is basically showing your playerbase you don´t care. You ignore.

A good conversation is one that has different views on topics, make people come up with suggestions, trade information or just have fun.
A heated argument can be a really good conversation if things don´t get personal or into threats (we usually don´t have those on the AA forums).

But if you see any form of critisism as breaking your forum rules (basically seeing critics as harassment - the Anita Sarkeesian way), there is no good discussion.

A good conversation is NOT having somebody ask you to "Jump!" and the only accepted answer is "HOW HIGH, SIR!?".

I can only suggest you make the whole discussion handling at the very least more transparent to all and basically let ALL people know what your problem with a certain thread was.

That way you can show you actually care.

Thanks for your time,
Aeducan

(this thread can also be read on forums.leadtalk.de)

GunDepressionPsychatrist

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 am

MonolithD;2632160 wrote:Imo they really do care, I can't really speak on their behalf but the reason I like Trion above all other publishers I played games on, they are actually really nice people. They streams they do is something new to me and they do a stellar job with compensation, imo something they don't need to do in the first place.

Considering the abuse they - and a lot of other publishers - take, it's amazing they still directly communicate with us.

Look at the evolution thread how Celest answered as many questions as possible, or the CEO that said happy birthday to a guy on reddit just out of the blue (His aunt made him a Archeage cake hehe) - These are small things that get completely looked over.

Each person has an opinion and rightfully so, it's just a video game and they are doing a great job imo regardless what social media and all that crap says. That video of that guy, I mean his channel is about death of games, feeding on negativity because in this day and age, its a lot easier to be negative than positive

GunDepressionPsychatrist

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 am

Aeducan wrote:
Honestly i have played every major mmo (except FF XIV) and was always were active on the respective forums. I have never received any kind of infraction or ban. The general opinion (not just my personal one) is, that Trion is very heavy on censoring.

It´s their job to see past the initial rant and question the motivation behind it. Sure some ppl are trolls, but some are just concerned about some game related matter, even fear that some changes will break the game for them.
I totally see how that sucks, especially because you can NEVER make it right for everybody and some people will always scream for compensation if the game was offline for like 5 minutes. It´s still their job to see past that and keep the bigger picture in mind.

By bigger picture i mean not only the cash flow, but the overall game and community health.

Can you link that reddit post please?

I agree everybody has a right to his opinion, i extend that everybody has also the right to voice that opinion, as long as it´s not a racial slur, against the law or simply and outright insult. (Note: An insult is not if somebody complains Trion only changed game feature XX for making $$$$ more a month).

I don´t think they do such a great job. The game runs. Like a patient in an ICU. Will it wake up again? Can´t see that atm.

The social media is full of haters, but it´s also a big opinion forming platform, never underestimate that and tbh i don´t think a company can nowadays.
"All the crap" could be referred to as "reddit" for it´s often downtalked in these forums. There are reasons people go to reddit. To voice the opinions they can´t voice here.

About the vid, sure you can see it that way. That it feeds the flame of negativity. Or you can look at it the way the youtuber wants - a sum up of the history and events that lead to a games current state.
There are numerous other vids on his channel and most of the games i have played and have vivid fun memories of. But most of these games are either gone or no longer noteworthy.

He just gives a sum up and actually it´s quite of entertaining to remember the good, the bad and the ugly.

What´s completely overlooked whenever that vid is mentioned, that he adresses also issues like the above in the OP, while also asking if long needed changes like the trade system came to late. That is giving an outlook - can things still be salvaged?

But he extensively goes into the part where "the community has lost faith in Trion" because of the above issues and that´s not a wild guess.

His conclusion at the end might suggest that "the end is already nigh", but you said it yourself. Everyone has a right to an opinion.

And everybody has the right to form an opinion, taking into account all sorts of views, judging them by own experience and finally come to one´s own personal conclusion.
Voicing that personal conclusion on the other hand? It´s basically: You can have an opinion on AA, as long as you keep it to yourself.

There are no lies in the vid, i specifically write this for Orio, who assumes the creator never played AA, when he states at the very end that he bought a founders pack, so we can guess he at least played for a day or two ;)

Aeducan
Site Admin

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 am

And of course i received a forum ban for this thread

vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Do not discuss moderator action, or attempt to re-open removed or locked threads.

Date the ban will be lifted: 08-27-2017, 05:00 AM

You may contest this ban by emailing community@trionworlds.com
This is laughable beyond measure - Trion is such an impotent (not a wrongly chosen word) company.

Aeducan
Site Admin

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 am

Asheryi

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 am

All I have to say to that is, just wow. Sorry for the ban though.

It's going to take me a little longer to quit than I had hoped, but I'm about halfway done with cancelling my characters and giving the stuff to my friends and family still playing.
I'll really be happy when it' s over. I might check in from time to time but I won't be actively playing anymore after that or patroning/owning land.

Aeducan
Site Admin

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:57 am

Hey there sorry for the late answer. GDP is currently on vacation.

I just wait for the merge to happen and will 99% stop playing then.

I was expecting the ban, but i was also a bit disappointed since Muzzy "advertised" that he cherishes good discussions.

It´s just not gonna change unless Trion runs into serious issues like a bankruptcy, which is unlikely.

It´s just about the numbers - in other games the community did show their publischer/dev that they can F*** themselves and the pub/devs backed down. Frankly AA has too few forum users.
Most of the population don´t go there.

Currently i enjoy a re-play of Dragon Age, from the first to the last game. It´s a great game and i am totally immersed atm.

Asheryi

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:06 pm

If you've been following the AA forums - "So with another crippling merge on the horizon, what are you doing for fun??" thread, quite a few of the regulars have admitted they are currently playing other games or looking for other games. You might want to save that thread before they take it down off of the forums as it has some really good feedback from a variety of players, potatoes, merchants, and pirates. But I think that thread has almost reached the point it contains too much 'truth', and they only want 'good conversations'.

Asheryi

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:24 pm

I saved a copy of that thread on my computer just in case, I'm betting it's going to get taken down today due to Bobwinner telling it like it is, haven't always agreed with him on forum issues but it sounds like he got a hand-slap for something stupid and/or will probably get one for stating his opinions.

Aeducan
Site Admin

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

Soooo i spent the rest of the week and the weekend re-playing the old Dragon Age: Origins.

Was a blast, but i saw that thread too, haven´t saved it yet, but it seems it´s still there.

You´re welcome to open your own threads to save AA forum posts here - after all that´s what this forum is for.