This is what gets a temp ban on the forums??

Discuss the game state, current & future Events and issues of Archeage with the community.
Asheryi

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:16 pm

On August 13th, I commented on a post by JasonWivart regarding the coming of PAX West, and what questions we would like to have addressed. I posted some sharp words perhaps but my questions are valid.
If you want to see just how badly the ArcheAge forums are over-moderated, take a look at what earned me a 24-hour forum ban and 3 infraction points...

Considering ArcheAge is supposed to be rated M, costumes not being added cause 'too much skin' for the most part is just silly. Some of the swimsuits we already have in game are pretty revealing but they seem to get the pass, so I'm confused by the lack of consistency.

Which brings me to my questions:

1a) Is ArcheAge actually rated M, and if so, 'too much skin' is not a good enough answer. (RE: Fallen Angel costume)

1b) If ArcheAge is not rated M. My question then becomes this: significant in-game words like Austera, and other commonly used English words are still censored. Trion, if you are supposedly responsible for handling the 'westernization' of the game, I would expect that words important to the play of the game (cities, skills, game activities) and words/phrases necessary to the English language would be an important thing to address at some point...when?

2a) I think this has been requested before, but would it be possible to have a post somewhere to try to explain to your players, the differences between what XL does, and what you (Trion) do? I feel that there is some anger in the community that our input goes ignored when the reality is that certain things are outside your domain.

2b) For the issues that are out of your (Trion's) hands, what can be done to make it easier for us to contact XL? You know, what can we do to make sure that our community's feedback, ideas, and concerns are directed to the right places? What are you prepared to do to facilitate communications between us?

3) Censorship. In western culture there is this thing, called freedom of speech. Why are threads continually removed just because they contain things you don't agree with, or don't like? I have seen many quality threads taken down for this reason, with no answers given to the public as to why, not only that, these same people are often getting temp mutes/ forum bans ect for caring about this game enough to give their 2 cents??

Where do you stand on the topic of censorship? Why do you not promote more freedom of speech in the form of thoughtful debate, feedback and concerns? Are you trying to cater to the western culture or not?

I have to agree with Jasonwivart on the idea that AA has come to feel like a giant beta test. It's also one of the reasons I'm becoming more disenchanted with the game, so I'm hoping this question gets answered.

My opinion is that it feels like every 6~ months or so, instead of giving us new content/content we ask for, you play 52 pickup and throw the whole deck of cards out the window, make us pick up the cards, then try to tell us it's a brand new deck (that we should pay for again!??). Basically, instead of making small changes and fixes, what we see is the companies behind this game acting radically and often irrationally, upheaving the core game mechanics -- usually not for the better.

I'm ok with games in Early Access/developmental stages, but these games do more to make sure players get the best value for the money and usually charge minimally, often only for minor conveniences and cosmetics. People need to feel that their time/money spent is a fair transaction, and paying full price for an unfinished game (or work in progress game) will quickly annoy the western consumer, in my opinion.

Their reasons for banning me are due to 'questioning moderator action', and even though I did pose a very critical question as to how they feel about the subject of censorship and unfair removal of threads/ mutes, in an attempt to abide by the forum rules I did not mention any specific moderators, nor any specific moderators actions. I also did not mention any specific threads that were unjustly removed, or mention people who have been unfairly punished. I only ever mentioned that censorship and over-moderation of the forum is growing concern among the community, with the hope that they could respond like reasonable adults...

GunDepressionPsychatrist

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 am

Problem is, Trion can´t handle any form of critisim, if it´s something other than a mere rant, they usually don´t police those.

But if you speak up on topics that are generally "moving the masses" they over moderation will kick in.

Also if a thread, that´s otherwise a valid and even constructive discussion, contains one entry that refers to how cheats/exploits work, the whole thread will be removed most of the time, instead of just removing the offending post and leaving an explanation (for all to see) why.
The latter would show that Trion actually cares about what the community thinks and that would improve the general opinion towards Trion.

They do remove posts done by alts and leave threads intact.

But generally if you mention "trigger words" like censorship, Trion mods come swarming in.

You can´t even ask where a thread went without getting an infraction. This is impotent control mania beyond measure.

And that´s why i created this forum.

Asheryi

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:14 pm

The thing that they fail to realize is that no one cannot provide a service over the Internet, and then pretend that "the Internet" is not a thing. It's also a prime example of how little it takes to get Trion staff triggered. Now, if I had named a certain mod or called out a specific action that they did that wasn't fair, that would have been very different. I did not. They are doing a far greater disservice to themselves and their product by acting in this manner. A much better option would have been to only remove the offending portion/s of my thread, rather than my post in its entirety as I felt most of my questions were fair.

I really just wanted some truth to these issues and no amount of banning or sweeping these issues under the rug will make the questions go away in the players' minds - they will only lose more people, as now it is now becoming an issue of real-life politics, which is in fact what will be the final nail in the coffin for me as a player. I may have always been a potato player in-game, but the culling of freedom of speech is something I can no longer support in any way.

I've been on the fence for months now whether I should quit or not, but in a way, I'm thankful they have made my decision easier. I plan to quit within a few weeks, using the last of my time to give my family what possessions I am able to give before I finally say goodbye forever from ArcheAge. I found myself really touched with Nth's goodbye thread not long ago, and it really resonated with me just how much negativity and frustration over ArcheAge have been leeching into my real life. I was rather disgusted that they removed Nth's thread, so thank-you for saving it here. I feel that anyone who is struggling with making that decision to leave after investing so much time, and money, and emotions, should read it.

In the end, real life should always take precedence, and when it comes to games there are more fish in the sea. Maybe none that are quite what ArcheAge is or should have been, but games that are FUN and want their community to be active, engaged, and wanting to positively contribute (sometimes through criticism) to the future of their game. As far as I can see it, until the actions of the staff behind ArcheAge change, it is a game doomed to stagnation at best and death at the worst, and it is only a matter of time until a better MMO comes along.

GunDepressionPsychatrist

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Asheryi wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:14 pm
The thing that they fail to realize is that no one cannot provide a service over the Internet, and then pretend that "the Internet" is not a thing. It's also a prime example of how little it takes to get Trion staff triggered. Now, if I had named a certain mod or called out a specific action that they did that wasn't fair, that would have been very different. I did not. They are doing a far greater disservice to themselves and their product by acting in this manner. A much better option would have been to only remove the offending portion/s of my thread, rather than my post in its entirety as I felt most of my questions were fair.

I really just wanted some truth to these issues and no amount of banning or sweeping these issues under the rug will make the questions go away in the players' minds - they will only lose more people, as now it is now becoming an issue of real-life politics, which is in fact what will be the final nail in the coffin for me as a player. I may have always been a potato player in-game, but the culling of freedom of speech is something I can no longer support in any way.

I've been on the fence for months now whether I should quit or not, but in a way, I'm thankful they have made my decision easier. I plan to quit within a few weeks, using the last of my time to give my family what possessions I am able to give before I finally say goodbye forever from ArcheAge. I found myself really touched with Nth's goodbye thread not long ago, and it really resonated with me just how much negativity and frustration over ArcheAge have been leeching into my real life. I was rather disgusted that they removed Nth's thread, so thank-you for saving it here. I feel that anyone who is struggling with making that decision to leave after investing so much time, and money, and emotions, should read it.

In the end, real life should always take precedence, and when it comes to games there are more fish in the sea. Maybe none that are quite what ArcheAge is or should have been, but games that are FUN and want their community to be active, engaged, and wanting to positively contribute (sometimes through criticism) to the future of their game. As far as I can see it, until the actions of the staff behind ArcheAge change, it is a game doomed to stagnation at best and death at the worst, and it is only a matter of time until a better MMO comes along.
Aed and Me have been playing MMOs since the dawn of time. Literally - first games include UO/Everquest/AC.

We have been both very passionate about the games and while P2W wasn´t that much of a problem in the early days, there were other changes the devs did for the worst. Where is this going? We have NEVER been banned on any game forum before.
But there´s a first time for everything and with AA we both got the temp boot multiple times.

I share you opinion Trion does themselves a disservice with the current handling of the forums, i personally have little hope that will change.
Trion has yet to realize they lost players not only to the p2progress / p2w mechanics that are there, but to the handling of the community. Celestrata, was a big hope, but she quickly became a real SJW style community manager.

Atm moment i plan to quit AA after the merge, it´s a good thing to have houses as a kit. :D
I actually can´t see me returning though, but you never now. AA was the hope to have a decent heir to the legacy Ultima Online left behind, but due to XLs design choices to just re-use / re-make the game all over again and no real content, as well as Trions poos management and censorship there´s simply no reason to play it any longer.

It could have been a jewel, but the publishing and managing errors are too much to bear with anyone with a tad bit of common sense left.

The game will stagnate into nothingness. The merges will reinvigorate the new servers for some time, then ppl will begin to leave again due to the same reasons AA lost thousands of players since it´s release (or even Alpha).

Sad truth is, with the declining player count it will get more and more less likely Trion will back off from the cash shop, because it will be the sole mechanic that allows the game to stay profitable - whales carry 70-90% of the average f2p titles.

I am sceptical about alternatives like "Ashes of Creation" too. That´s why i personally won´t give any money to an early access (mmo) anymore.

A lil bit of hope still remains. We wouldn´t have put in the effort to create a forum for AA related censor free discussion if we didn´t want the game to succeed. Frankly i don´t see that happening until XL revokes Trions publishing rights and finds someone better. Still keep in mind it´s not all Trions fault. XL has designed this game being cash shop heavy. They´d have to fix that too.

Asheryi

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm no stranger to the MMO market, myself.

I am an early 30s girl gamer who grew up with the rise of technology; rapidly having to adjust every few years to the latest thing. I owned multiple consoles, handheld devices, and the best PC my job could afford me at the time, which wasn't much.

I've had the pleasure of being a part of some of the best and worst times in MMO histories; including Runescape's fabled Falador massacre of 06/06/06. I remember recently, how disappointed I was that a game over a decade in its design (ESO) in my opinion REALLY missed the mark. But in my opinion, this is a common thread among all gamers; constantly searching for the next best thing, a new game to captivate and entertain us. I feel that this is something all too easily forgotten by those involved in the gaming industry.

I usually don't sink my money into early releases either, for MMOs or otherwise, I think it's pretty fair to say most gamers have had that moment: 'I wasted my money on THAT??' at least once.

I truly hope that ArcheAge can recover and move forward. Not holding my breath, though.

GunDepressionPsychatrist

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Basically my story, but i sticked with PC most of the time.

Didn´t get around to Runescape though, i was in my FPS phase then and did Counter-Strike a lot. I did never really find another MMO that caught me like the early ones, WoW on the other hand did the trick because i was a long time fan of the series and in the beginning you had real challenges, even quest lines that were hard to complete or even required a full party to have a bare shot at managing. That´s a thing totally missing from nowadays MMO experience - difficulty.

ESO was the first game i hoped would rip me from WoW´s grasp. A stupid notion though, because in WoW we had a great guild doing all content and PvE at the highest difficulties. But as you said... looking for something new, but more importantly i never stopped looking for the next UO.
We both even returned to UO in 2015 for about 6 months (while keeping AA half-active) and it was fun, but basically lost much of the original feeling since the non-PvP "instance" Trammel had been introduced.

I tried some asian MMO´s before, even Aion, didn´t like tem and the f2p ones were a total cash shop fest. Like Aed i basically vowed never to play an f2p MMO. Then came AA in 2014... started with an archer, wan´t much fun, because in WoW you can easily kite enemies and combat seemed more fluid, went melee was more fun and soon even patron.

With getting patron the first disappointment of AA came - you don´t get the full 6 char slots, still have to buy inventory space from the cash shop (ok AH is an option, but it still has to be bought by someone on the cash shop)... yet... sailing the first packs over the ocean into harbors packed with enemy players... so much fun.
Then the first exodus came due to the Auroria patch (i still don´t count a few zones with random mobs and not much else to do NOT as content) and the various other issues with Auroria.

I pledged for Albion Online for example and some other titles.

As for Ashes of Creation, i would like to see it be "a thing" or the "next UO" but as of now, i haven´t seen anything or heard on the dev streams that gave me the "WOW THAT´S REALLY IT" shivers. I even had to slap Aed to not drop 500$ for a very early access (had to do the same for Shroud of the Avatar, because they hype of it being the inofficial UO successor was high with him).

I´d LOVE to see AA turn around and become a thing. But that´s just a small spark of hope, while in reality it isn´t more than a footnote atm. Both XL and Trion have to come around by like 180° in order to make this game viable again.

Asheryi

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Because I was playing Runescape, I missed out on WoW. Which is a good and bad thing as I have quite a few friends in it that could help me along as a first timer if I ever decide to give it a whirl. No stranger to Asian MMOs (and their grindy ways and often P2Wness) as I played Perfect World, Eden Eternal, think I tried Rift, Neverwinter Nights, and Aion but they just didn't captivate me.

Games I have my eyes on right now would be Citadel: Forged with Fire, Pantheon, and a few others. I don't see Black Desert doing it for me as I tend to prefer medieval fantasy over post-apocalyptic.

Right now, I'm actually playing Bit Heroes, an 8-bit MMO. This game really has some revolutionary concepts and has reminded me yet again that a game does not need the best or shiniest graphics to be fun, captivating, and rewarding.
The game basically takes elements of Pokemon, where you have to catch familiars. As you progress, you have greater options to improve that familiar by stabling it (improves their base stats) or you can even discover fusion recipes where you can literally transmogrify your pet into all sorts of weird Frankenawesome things. It totally makes me think of Krieger from Archer when I'm making these weird, putrifying, shambling creatures -- but it's hilarious watching an army of Shrampz (they look like old men with mushroom heads) steamroll people in PVP by bopping them with their canes while spamming heal on themselves. There's also limited-time events (right now, zombo invasion!) where you can unlock special cosmetics, pet fusions, and other neat stuff), Guild VS Guild battles, and special legendary raids where if you're lucky you can get the best gear and pets.

Of course, that doesn't do much for the social side of the game, so every few small dungeons you unlock a large dungeon that you can raid with the help of your friends. The greatest thing is, not all of your friends have to be online at the same time to do it! The game gives you the freedom to access like a 'clone' of your friends' character and you can place them in your party as you see fit based on the way they are equipped. This gives them the freedom to access a 'clone' of your character as well, but you remain in full control of your account at all times. The difference is, that as your friend levels up and equips better items their 'clones' will become more powerful to reflect whatever changes they have made to their character when they are online.

Also, by signing up for a Kongregate account, you can play your character on your mobile (iOS or Andriod) and/or on your PC, so that's really convenient.

Not that I wanted to make this an advertisement about Bit Heroes. It's certainly not ArcheAge, but it is fun! :)

GunDepressionPsychatrist

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

You´re allowed to make all the advertisements you like :) You can put in links, pictures, whatever - in a separate thread maybe and if more people find there way here we could easily make a dedicated forum.

Bit Heros was something i found appealing when i saw it, though never tried due to lack of time. Even UO with it ages old engine still is kinda appealing to me.
Maybe in like 2 months when i finally get my yearly vacation ^^

In short, good graphics don´t make a good game. Since Minecraft, there have been more and more games with a more simplistic GFX engine and to stay with the example of Minecraft, those can be very successful.

Ashes of Creation for example, what little you can see about the game engine looks quite gorgeous, but i haven´t seen or read a single highly appealing game highlight or mechanic yet. I fear the game will be just another good looking MMO with no heart.
Like BDO.

I like the idea of cross-platform gaming, but i also have a problem with it. Like in Albion Online, the controls are very basic, since they needed to make it playable on mobile devices... i am kinda stuck with mouse/kb and WASD + numerous keys.

I "follow" Citadel on steam, because it was suggested to me and i did like the basic concept. Still i won´t buy into it just yet. I am a bit wary of MMO´s atm - mostly thanks to Archeage.

Asheryi

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:05 pm

I hear you completely. I'm sure we are not alone in the sense that ArcheAge was something special. Unfortunately, with the continual changes that aren't working for the better and refusal to listen to their paying veteran customer base, their poor behaviour and choices have utterly degraded the real jewel of the game that it could be. I do think it is possible to salvage and reclaim its glory; I do think with the right hands on deck the ArcheAge team could have even made this game become a real contender for WoW. But too much is getting lost in translation between XL and Trion. XL doesn't want to ease up the reins, and ArcheAge is probably the big cash cow for Trion right now so as much as they hate that heifer they are going to milk it dry.

We can only hope...